Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Happy Birthday Hubby


First of all, happy happy birthday to my wonderful husband!  Rather than starting my morning with a workout, I started my morning by baking a made-from-scratch chocolate cake with chocolate cream cheese frosting.  I had a little helper, and she was very good and “cleaning” the beaters. 

Not once did I lick the batter, the beaters, the spatula, or the frosting.  It wasn’t hard to resist it, and I kept thinking to myself “If this were 2 weeks ago I would have eaten two spoonfuls of that frosting, easily!”  I did die a little inside when I just rinsed the extra down the drain, rather than sticking my head in the bowl and licking it up.  (What, you’ve never done that before?  Oh, you think that’s weird….?  Hmm…)

The family enjoyed the chocolate cake after dinner.  I had one teeny tiny taste, to see how my made-from-scratch cake turned out.  It was just ok, not fabulous as the reviews from the website said.  Oh well, I’m not going to eat it so it doesn’t matter.

But, let me tell you what I did make today that was absolutely the.most.delcious.thing.I’ve.ever.eaten.  Period.  I think I have a new obsession with avocado and feta cheese paired together.  I’ve used this combo on tuna sandwiches and thought it was good.  I had them with my leftover pork in a tortilla last week, and that was really yummy.  But this salad today was to die for!  Once again, inspired by a recipe found on Pinterest (click here if you want to see the original).  I modified it to fit the ingredients I had on hand, and to eliminate the ingredients I don’t care for.  (Like dill….I HATE dill.  I vividly remember a dinner my mom made when I was a kid.  Some sort of Hamburger Dill Casserole.  She MADE my sister and I sit at the table and eat until it was gone, and I cried and cried and cried because I hated it so much.  I will never eat dill again.)  My recipe consisted of 1 avocado, ½ a chopped red pepper , some chopped red onion , ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese, some chopped up cilantro, and a few generous squirts of lime juice.  I ate it for breakfast with Kashi Fire Roasted Vegetable crackers.  Then I ate it again for lunch with my leftover tilapia.  I ate the entire batch by myself, and probably would have eaten it again for a snack and dinner if it wasn't already gone.  Good thing I have more ripe avocados ready to eat, as I plan to make some more tomorrow! 

For dinner I had a BBQ pork sandwich, homemade coleslaw, and an apple.  Overall a yummy day!  My workout today just consisted of a nice long 45 minute walk on the treadmill at the gym (while I watched LOST…I like to multi-task).  I listened to my body today and took it easy, as I’m still feeling a bit sore and tired from all the intense workouts.  So I gave myself a bit of a break today, yet still got in a little cardio.  I did some inclines and such, so I am still happy with what I accomplished today.  Plus I’m thinking that from picking strawberries last week, I didn’t just overwork the muscles in my back, I think something is a bit out of line, as I’m still sore and not in an overworked muscle kind of way. 

Back to the grind tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment